Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assembly Snap Problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can anyone shed some light on the use of the "Component Snap" Feature in release 2001?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What do you want to know? Component snap is used to automatically place components. There are two settings that relate to this. The first is in your config.pro file. The setting is comp_snap_dist_tolerance (0.5 my setting) this sets the snapping tolerance.
The second is in the component placement dialog box. Select preferences then expand snap if it is not already expanded. There is an option, activate snapping, check this box.

To use it upon component placement the part will need to be in the assembly window while you are constraining it. Select a mate, align etc.. either on the part or the assembly then use Ctrl & Alt to move your component. As you move it various possible references are shown. When you are happy with one release Ctrl & Alt then your part will be constrained. This takes a bit of getting used to.

If you can't understand this or need more help let me know.

Good Luck

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I tried the assembly procedure as you described-no go.
I strongly suspect that it has something to do with the build we are using-2001,320.
We are installing the latest build in a day or so-I will give it another shot.
What do you think about this feature? PTC touts the Assembly Snap as a really good feature.

Thanks again for the reply,

JW

Tactex Controls Inc.

Hello ttx

Currently I am using 2001 build 360, however I have been using earlier builds with no problem.

Could you tell me exactly what you are doing, as it can't be far wrong.

I have found this feature very useful and quicker especially when aligning axis.

Thanks Selim,
It seems that I've finally got it.
I did not have "Automatic" selected in the component dialogue box. The automatic snap works well, very much how you described it. Thanks for the config. parameters, it is important to know how to change the snap tolerances.
Thanks again for your help.

JW
Tactex Controls Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back