Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assembly Subtract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sripri

Automotive
Feb 16, 2007
US
I want to treat a part in an assembly to act as a cutter (Part Subtract feature). I can insert one part on the other, align and subtract or add or combine. But, Can I do the same thing in an assembly. I feel lot easier to position parts in an assembly than "insert part" route. I know I can join parts in an assembly to make a single part, but don;t know whether I can do a subtract. I actually want to put multiple parts in an assembly in their correct orientations and use some of the parts to subtract others. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

have you tried the indent feature? i believe this might do what you're describing. you'll have to pull it out of the customize menu as its not in the standard tool bars.

You can use the "Top Down" or "In-context" method of part creation. Use the features of existing parts to create sketches and cut-extrudes in the part being edited.

[cheers]
SW07-SP3

try using Cavity, but you have to be editing the part you want one part to remove the other part... but this is not good practice... you need to make it using sketch in the assembly level, while editing the part (in-context).

You just cannot subtract one part form another part like you do with bodies in part level.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

You can edit the part you wish to cut in the assembly and then use the Offset Surface tool to copy the cutting surfaces you want. In this case, I use an offset of 0.000" (copy of surfaces). I then open the part and offset my copied surface by the amount of "clearance" I want between part and use the Cut With Surface feature.

Doing this is a tad fragile. If you update the part from which you copied the surface(s), you may get holes in your copied surface that you'll need to patch by editing the Offset Surface feature in the assembly.

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe transcends reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back