Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assembly Zones 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

realmagicracer

Aerospace
Jan 3, 2008
BG
Does anyone know how to use assembly zones?
Yes! I read the documentation. I can create named zone. But what is all about? How can I filter components in a zone?

I have seen some movies about assembly zones in SolidEdge. And if this is the same function, I understand the practical application of Zones. But how can I use it in NX?

NX5.0.2 / NX4.0.3

Regards: Dimo Urumov
Aircraft Engineer
Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you're talking explicitly about zones, this refers to using spatial information to breakdown a large assembly into manageable chunks. This is of particular usefulness when designing airframes or automobiles or even large pieces of machinery. For example, inside of a large assembly you might place several datum planes which later you can assign zones to them and then you can create an Assembly Group using these zones which can be used to manage the content of the assembly either when opening it so that only those components in a certain zone is opened. Or later you could close certain zones. Also you can combines things like define a group containing only those components with a certain attribute attached in a certain zone, say all of the items associated with the fuel system on the left side of the vehicle centerline.

You define Zones under Assemblies -> Advanced -> Zones... and you define Assembly Groups in the Assembly Navigator (just toggle on 'Show Assembly Groups').

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back