Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assign section property to 2D composites model?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigtree

Structural
Jan 30, 2006
US
Hi, I made a 2D shell model to simulate composites. How come I could not assign materials property to this shell part?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Um, you might need to be a little more specific in describing the trouble you had...

Did you create a material? Then a composite shell section? Then did you try to assign this section to the part region?

Hi, I created a 2d model, (2d->shell->....done)
property=elastic, lamina,...
Section=shell, composite....

When assigning the section property in part-section property-assignment to my 2d shell model, I did not see the section property created before. How come?

Did you really mean to use the 2d modelling space? Try again with a 3d model but use a shell base feature. Apply the section assignment as you attempted previously.

The docs cover this very thoroughly - check out section 11.4.1 of the ABAQUS/CAE manual (V6.6)

Two-dimensional planar
ABAQUS/CAE embeds the part in the X–Y plane. A two-dimensional planar part can contain a combination of only planar shell and wire features, and all cut features are defined as planar through cuts. You model a two-dimensional planar part using two-dimensional solid continuum elements, as well as truss or beam elements.

Hi brep and Bigtree,
I'm now working with 2D composite plate by ABAQUS CAE V6.6(the same case to brep). But the problem is to define the directions of the layers. Could you help me to figure it out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back