Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assigning state dependent material properties using user subroutines in ABAQUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ankagr89

Structural
Feb 4, 2013
IN
Dear all,

I am dealing with a problem where the specimen is subjected to a temperature time curve with a distinct heating and cooling phase. However, due to thermal inertia, the elements go into cooling at different times. Since I want to use different material properties for the cooling phase, I need to check whether the AVERAGED TEMPERATURE INCREMENT of all nodes is negative and hence assign a field variable corresponding to the cooling phase material properties. I tried using UFIELD as it provides DTEMP(incremental temp difference) as an argument. However, I am not very clear on how to extend it to all nodes of the element to obtain an averaged temperature increment. Also, is there any alternate method that I can use to address my problem.

Thanking you in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can I collaborate with you on this project
I'm doing same area of yours, if possible
we could benefit with each others
if possible, can you contact me at isyhadh82@gmail.com
cheers

There may be more than one way to do this. Here's one: Figure out the node/element connectivity using GETNODETOELEMCONN. However, this utility routine can only be called by UMESHMOTION. Once you have the connectivity set up, then call the nodes of one element, take the value of increment in temperature from each integration point at the beginning of the increment (DTEMP) and average it out, and finally, write that to a solution dependent variable. Several subroutines allow you to use TEMP and DTEMP.

Are you new to this forum? If so, please read these FAQ:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back