Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

associating sat files to open sing solidworks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdelnet

Mechanical
May 13, 2005
CA
thread559-294694
I am having trouble assigning SolidWorks to open sat files. It works for step files but when I try to assign SLDWORKS.exe to open sat files I get

"The program you have selected cannot be associated with this file type"

Anyone have a sugestion?

SW 2015 SP 4.0 x64

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does this mean that I cannot assign SolidWorks as the default program for opening sat files? That doesn't sound right.

SW 2015 SP 4.0 x64

File association is done in the Operating system, usually by selecting properties for a file and selecting "Open with"
and so forth.

What did you try?

That is what I tried. Open with, then navigate to solidworks.exe. When looking at step files they have the solidworks icon associated with it, its just sat files that don't seem to want to work. Its starting to sound like its a windows thing unless someone knows of a specific reason sat files wont work.

SW 2020 SP 4.0

Then when you navigate to solidworks.exe is when Windows tells you it cannot work? Probably Windows 10, right? But when you say "its just sat files that don't seem to want to work" does that mean the property change fails or that the application starts up and the application tells you it cannot open them?

AFter navigating to the SW folder (C:\Program Files\SOLIDWORKS Corp\SOLIDWORKS) & I select solidworks.exe and then click on the "open" dialogue box the error message is
The program you have selected cannot be associated with this file type. Please choose another program.

SW 2020 SP 4.0

Yes, select a sat file, right click - select "open with" from the dialogue box then go thru all the steps previously discussed.

SW 2020 SP 4.0

Have you successfully done this with other file types? It seems more and more like the registry is locked. I'd use regedit to look for other files associated to solidworks. You should be able to manually create an entry for it there, but that has risks of it's own.

So I just recieved the answer from our VAR

The association is made with

swShellFileLauncher.exe

It works now.

Thanks

SW 2020 SP 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back