Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Associative copy geometry - how to do it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Im not super familiar with the Wave geometry linker but Solidworks will allow you add a part to a part file.
You can find it under INSERT/PART in the drop down menu.
Select the part you wish to insert into the current part file you are editing and select the options you wish in the property manager. If you would like to get the dimensions of the part for example, or in the example i am showing here, you can bring in the sheet metal features etc. This way its not like a dumb part, I can actually flatten it, and show the dimensions if needed. I cannot edit them however from here, I would need to open the the reference part to do that.

IF you are using enterprise PDM there is a right click menu election in windows explorer called "Copy Tree" that will create a new file based on the feature manager of a saved part. it will be an exact copy that can be fully edited in any way and it is not linked to the original part if thats what your after.

Regards,
Jon

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=1417a39d-2d89-4df5-b192-c2285761413d&file=insert_part.PNG
You may also want to check the "derived Sketch" feature in the help file. And/or "Convert entities" in the sketch environment. There are a couples of ways to make geometry associative but since I don't know how NX and Catia work I can't narrow the most similar feature.

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back