Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Associative Text/Attributes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent5791

Mechanical
Feb 12, 2014
US
Version NX 8.5
I'm working on a detail drawing for a weldment. The weldement has 12 pieces. Sheet 1 is the weldment assembly named XXXXXX and sheet 2 is the detail drawings for all of the individual pieces which are named XXXXXX-01 through XXXXXX-12. Is there a way to create associative text that will automatically populate the correct drawing number for each of my 12 individual pieces? i.e. I place the text under the view of part number XXXXXX-01 (this text is somehow linked to the view of part number XXXXXX-01) and with in that text the part number XXXXXX-01 would automatically populate.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, I thought it would be easy until I read "automatically populate"
I think there is a way to do this with some programming, so maybe one of thos experts can give you advice
I know John Baker is on the road, so maybe when he gets back he can help you

Yea, I'm on the road (between now and Christmas there will only be ONE week that I will not be traveling for the company), but I am on-line (when I'm not in a plane or in a meeting) however, this is more a custom programming issue for which there are others here who might be in a better position to help you out with something like that.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

If you have a part attribute in each of your components that reflect your part number, then you can manually create text that is linked to an object attribute. When Placing text you can use RELATIONSHIPS and select the Object Attributes option. Pick the component you are detailing and the list of all part attributes appear. Select the one that represents your part number attribute. This may not be as automatic as you wish, but it will link it to that components aprt number attribute.

Richard

Trent,

When you are creating (or editing) text in the Annotation Editor (Insert --> Annotation --> Note), In the Text Input pane, there is a Symbols section. If you expand that option, you will find an option called Category. This option has a pull down menu with several option available. Here is what you do:

1. Set the Category option to Relationships.
2. Select the icon next to Insert Object Attribute.
3. A dialog will appear asking you to Select Object. Pick your component in any drawing view.
4. A dialog will appear with a list of Attributes. Select the part number attribute in that component and select OK.
5. The text string will look something like <WRef1*0@YOURATTRIBUTE>

You can repeat these steps for each sheet/view you want to place the text under.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back