Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assy Configs Tree & BOM Out of Numerical Order?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bturpin55

Aerospace
Apr 5, 2011
US
I have an assembly with multiple configurations in addition sub assy's to each configurations. I am only calling up the lowest level to be displayed. Example: xxx-xxxx-xxx has several sub assy's 123-1234-xxx (123-1235-xxx, 123-1236-XXX and etc). Each also has its own Sub Level (Which is being used in the BOM Such as 123-1234-001, 123-1234-002, 123-1234-003 so forth and so on. Only the 123-1234-001 level are called out.

Problem is in a few areas (Not all) I will get the following order:(Example: 123-1234-001, 123-1234-002 then maybe a 123-1234-007 before the 123-1234-003?

The order shown in the Assembly model configuration tree is what order is shown in the drawing BOM. I have tried to manually relocate the Configuration column but it will not move. (The Rows - Parts listing moves OK manually) Just not the Columns.

I can not find a way be renumbering and return the numbering, I also checked to ensure I am using numbers verses letters nothing seems to work.

My thought was to simply try and do a design table then edit within the table, but now I am having issue with the "Microsoft Office Excel is waiting for another application to complete an OLE action". All I get is a continual looping. Tried to click OK for each loop sevral mins to no avail.

Anyone with any ideas? I treid searching every where and i AM BATTING "0" zero.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mr. Bturpin My experience with sequential numbering is as follows, If you insert 001, then 003, then 002, the BOM will list them in that sequence. So I assume if you add parts to an assy in sequential order, the BOM will number them in sequential order. I did not redo an assy to see if this is true or not, but that is where you should look if sequential order is really needed. In my case it wasn't really needed, so I just left it alone. Will model parts in sequential order, an insert in assy in sequential order
on the next assy I make.

The Parts order in the assembly is not an issue as these are in the Rows of the BOM. The issue is the order of the Configurations which are in the columns. In this specific case I have 52 columns.

For testing, What I had done from the Assembly model was to add an X in front of the last 3 digit and then the model position relocated to the bottom of the list. Example -007 was changed to -X07, then the position did relocate. Then I tried to remove the X and the confguration once again relocated between -003 and -004.
I need this to follow the -007 to follow the -006.

Well I found the work around for the issue with the design table OLE loop issue with a Macro which stopped to looping and the Design Table is now developed. But relocating the position from within the excell did not work.

So I suppose I need to keep messing with the Assy model.

Sometimes; if the BOM order isn't satisfactory, if you move the questionable item in the tree to another location, then back to your desired assembly order, the BOM re-numbers correctly.

(It orders the BOM by first appearances. - so if you simply mate an earlier object, to your object in questioned, that is noted in the assembly tree.)

Also, sometimes rearranging the tree does not change the BOM the way you want. Delete it, reorder the tree, and redo the bill.

--
Hardie "Crashj" Johnson
SW 2011 SP 2.0
HP Pavillion Elite HPE
W7 Pro, Nvidia Quaddro FX580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back