Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assy load speed with view configurations

Status
Not open for further replies.

blitz97

Mechanical
Apr 25, 2007
US
All

Hello. Have been using SE for years and we used to use view configurations to setup "empty" configurations with no parts shown to speed up load times on some of our bigger assemblies. Howwever, as of lately, we see no difference in load time based on what view configuration is chosen during the file opening process. Has this changed? Is there a setting that we have missed when updating to the newest SE release or were we just fooling ourselves and this has no bearing on how fast assemblies load?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I did exactly the same thing several years ago.

You don't need to create those configurations on ST5 or later - there are options you can set for how assembly files load based on haw many parts they have.
There is also an option on the Open File dialog box to open the assembly with all parts hidden - I think it has been there for several releases now.
(I'm at home at the moment so I'm working from memory here)

You can also (I found out the other day) hit the ESC key during loading and it will stop displaying/loading parts.
The pathfinder will still be there so you can then just show the parts you want.
I found that you might need to hit the key more than once just to make sure.

bc.
Core i5-3570 @3.4GHz , 8GB RAM
Quadro FX4600. W7 Pro 64-bit.

Thanks beachcomber! I wasnt aware of these new assy load options. I tried that escape key too and it did stop what it was doing and opened the file without parts laoded. Which is perfect. A lot of my work is over VPN and some big assemblies take forever to load when I only want to see a few parts in them.

Blitz97, if you do a lot of work over VPN, you may want to look into some type of remote desktop if you have a secondary workstation. HP Workstation products (Z or Elitebook) come with RGS which works amazingly well over VPN. Essentially your laptop becomes just an extension of the keyboard, mouse, and monitor of your primary workstation which is still at work on the company LAN. We use HP and have people who use the RGS product to work from home.

Ken G.

Have you checked out the Solid Edge Community site?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back