Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASTM A 350 LF2 forging equivalent

Status
Not open for further replies.

GabrieleB

Petroleum
Feb 4, 2009
IT
I have to specify a material for piping valves to be used for low temperature service up to -40° according to EN standard.
The process piping design code EN 13480-2 does not give indication for a forging material for temperature up to -40°C, but traditional carbon steel material are applicable only up to -20°C (Es. 10222-4 P285) as per Table B.2-5.
In the mentioned table to come up to -60°C should be used Ni alloyed carbon steel as 15NiMn6 grade.

Which carbon steel material grade can be used for forging (flange, valves) when you have a design requirement of -40°C??
In the American Standard is commonly used the ASTM A 350 LF2 Grade where a Charpy test at -46°c is specified. Is there an equivalent grade according to European Standard Code?

Thanks for help me!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Stainless steel is obviously applicable, in fact stainless steel doesn't have any problem at very low temperature.
In this case I'm asking for a low temperature Carbon Steel based on the European Norme (EN) for forging that could be equivalent to the low temperature Carbon Steel ASTM A 350 LF2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back