Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASTM A193 vs A449 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pce2000

Structural
Jun 26, 2001
US
I need a little help. I'm looking at using a threaded rod in pure tension. The application calls for a 7/8" diameter by 10" rod in which A36 material is insufficient. According to the AISC manual, the only materials readily available in round stock are A36, A572, A588(?) and A449 (I don't have the book in front of me, so bear with me if I left out one or two). A449 is the only material sufficient in strength for my case.

I have met resistance from our suppliers with this spec. They are saying we should use A193 Gr 7. This resistance baffles me and brings me to the following questions:

1) Why is A193 Gr7 not listed as an allowable material for threaded rod applications in the steel manual? According to ASTM, the strengths are acceptable. So do I ignore the allowable materials listed by AISC?

2) Why are our fastener suppliers giving resistance for an A449 threaded rod? I know these are commonly used for anchor bolts which require a high strength.

If anyone could help point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The following is from a March 1999 Modern Steel Construction article by Charlie Carter titled "Are You Properly Specifying Materials?":

"The usual material specification for threaded rods... is ASTM A36. Other material specifications that can be specified include ASTM A193, A307, A354, A449, A572, A588, and A687."

You can download the entire article from AISC's web site.

Thanks for the article. It was just what I needed. I was also able to get hold of a LRFD connections manual which listed A193. For some reason, It was not listed in the ASD manual or maybe I couldn't find it.

Again Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back