ASTM A333 and ASTM A999 and other seamless pipes below 2 NPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

darsson

Materials
Dec 30, 2016
ES
Hi to all!

I was checking this post talking about the non obligatory marking of pipes (I mean, not directly on them) and I would like to start a new topic about other standards that are related, but do not have same statement about marking.

It is written on ASTM A106 2014 #25.1 that for pipes below 2 NPS marking information could be placed on a tag. It is in accordance with what is also stated on ASTM A530 #24.1. On the other hand, ASTM A333 does not include that paragraph but ASTM A999 reflects same information than ASTM A530 for marking issues.

The question is, how to manage the same situation for Stainless Steel and alloy Steel pipes on thoses dimensions? ASTM A312, A333 etc.

Previous experiences, advice, anything would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A312 has the longest marking statement of any spec that I know of.
You have to mark NH for non-hydro, ET or UT for NDT. As well as SML, WLD, or HCW for production method.
We stencil tubes and pipe down to 1/4" OD, we can go smaller but you can't read it.
Some manufacturers have limitation based on the printers that they are using.

A999 is the general pipe spec and it allows tagging for 2npt and below (unless the product spec states otherwise).
A1016 if the tubing spec and it lets you tag for 1.25" OD and below, but most tubing specs require marking with no minimum size stated.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Thank you for your answer.
As I can see you are SS pipe producer, it helps a lot. As you said, A312 has a lot of marking requirements plus all required by A999. That is why I understand on A312 there should be someting similar to ASTM A106 #25.1, but there is not. Only on ASTM A999 #26.1 is written a fews words about. those words are quite interpretable depending on the reader. "For pipe less tan NPS 2 and pipe under 1m in lenghtm .... may be marked on a tag"
[ul]
[li]Does it mean, a pipe smaller and shorter or two different scenarios, one smaller and other different pipe shorter?[/li]
[li]Why is not ASTM including same statement (ASTM A106 25.1) on ASTM A333 and similar ASTM designations? Why to diference between Low temperature carbon Steel and high temperature carbón Steel?[/li]
[/ul]

Regards

The statements are different for a few reasons, different producers, marking methods, product sizes, and customer expectations.
The length is an issue related to the fact that often the information string that we stencil is longer than 3'.
On special request we have double stenciled large diameter that was going to be cut into short pieces, that way each piece would have information on it.
The mill markings are just temporary. The fabrication records are supposed to be the permanent record of the material. We find that often people just record the heat numbers, which is meaningless. The production lot information is critical information.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Why is not ASTM including same statement (ASTM A106 25.1) on ASTM A333 and similar ASTM designations? Why to diference between Low temperature carbon Steel and high temperature carbón Steel?

Because you have members of the committee's with agenda's to put it bluntly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back