Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitul mehta

Mechanical
Feb 13, 2021
IN
ASTM A453 Grade 660 Pdf Specification

Hello,
we at Torqbolt manufacture ASTM A453 Grade 660 Stud Bolts as per ASTM specification.
As per the latest astm specification it is manufactured in accordance with 4 tensile class as mentioned below

ASTM A453 Grade 660 Class A
ASTM A453 Grade 660 Class B
ASTM A453 Grade 660 Class C
ASTM A453 Grade 660 Class D

Class A,b,c have similar tensile strength and class d holds high tensile strength with a tweak in the heat treatment cycle.

We would like to know about the impact requirements in such case as the same is not mentioned in the astm specification.
Below link given a brief idea about API 20F Specification for ready reference.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Where are there impact requirements on these?
I don't know that I have ever seen an A286 spec with impact testing, it is usually a high temperature application and either hot tensile strength and/or stress rupture are commonly required.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

I am going to advance some guesswork here. Sec VIII, Div 1 lists SA-453 660 A & B under Table UHA-23, a high alloy. It may or may not be exempt from impact testing under UHA-51, depending grain structure, austenitic, duplex, etc.

So (the guesswork) perhaps impact test is per a Code of Construction as we often see.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Hi Ed stainless
We have customers buying this on regular basis. Despite of the fact that the code does not specify charpy notch test, ASTM a453 grade 660 a, b & d are used for low temperature applications also

Plz refer
For a few impact tests as per api code.
However we aren’t sure about the customer requirement which changes often.

Hi Mike,
Your reply in regards to the ASME section is completely right and upto the point, however it’s a fact and our 10 years experience shows the statistics that this grade particularly class a, b and d have the capability to achieve the impact requirements that our customers have put forth.
I would like to have more details referring on the charpy notch impact achievements for this grade.
I would appreciate if you guys can pass it on to other forums and your friends as well.

We have also approached ASTM for the same where they would need some white papers proving the same to amend the code ASTM A443/A453M-17

Mitul mehta, if you have access, Part UHA-51 gives detailed requirements for impact test methods, acceptance criteria and basis for exemptions. Should get you most of what you'd need I'd think.

Best of luck.

Mitul mehta, Table UHA-23 lists both UNS 66298 & 663198, but only Cl A & B. UHA-51 will address by grain structure apparently. Both are listed in Sec II, Part D.

Hi edstainless
Thanks for the pdfs.
They are clear to explain the temperature requirement and the charpy notch values required.
However we intent to understand the same from codes or white papers.

By any chance can you please help us with the applicable code, standard ord specification which shows similar charpy notch table.@

Mitul Mehta
TorqBolt
Director-R&D

I don't know of any specification or Code that requires charpy on this alloy unless you are doing specific B&PVC work, even then this alloy (because of its metallurgy) would usually be exempted from testing.
The sheets that supplied are typical values, not minimums. And also remember which heat treat condition these are connected with. If I was writing an in-house spec where someone wanted impacts included and it was for this HT condition then I would use something in the range of 1/2-2/3 of these values as a starting point.
If you find data from an aerospace application be aware that those will all be re-melted material (VAR or ESR) and not just air melted (AOD).

yes that's absolutely right.
you have come exactly to the start of this thread, where I have mentioned on ASTM A453

ASTM A453 Grade 660 Class A,b,c have similar tensile strength and class d holds high tensile strength with a tweak in the heat treatment cycle.

now, according to the pdf references, which I guess are typical for alloy a286 which is indeed equivalent to class b and hence we assume that those values belong to A453 GR 660 class b, however api 20f table 19 specifies impact requirements at similar temperatures -75 & - 50 degrees C with a minimum average requirement of 27 joules, I am keen to understand the values or requirements of class c which is oil quenched and class a which has a slight change in the heat treatment cycle as compared to ASTM A453 Grade 660 Class d.

Mitul Mehta
TorqBolt
Director-R&D

Considering that the min properties for each class are very similar, and that the min ductility is identical I don't see how the impact toughness could be much different unless the actual properties are significantly different.
The values reported by Allegheny are for 'B' material, it says so.
And at -100F (-75C) they report 92J.
I find it hard to imagine that any of these conditions would struggle meeting 27J.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back