Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASTM A656 GRADE 80 1-3/4" thick 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GotSteel

Industrial
Aug 12, 2014
US
Hello. I was hoping to get a few answers about some plate I have put on hold. the M.T.R. says that it is A656 grade 80 at 1-3/4" thick. Based on the ASTM standard grade 80 can't be over 1" thick ( see attached ). my questions are did I read the standard wrong and how can a mill test report be called something that it cant be per that standard that it says it is.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=86f9f924-22c9-48ef-8a26-c321d2466d56&file=A656-80.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No, you did not read the material specification incorrectly. Actually, it should be 3/4" maximum thickness versus 1-3/4" maximum thickness for the plate. It may be an error on the MTR heading. Check the dimensions listed in the MTR itself for thickness, length and width.

1.2 The maximum thickness of plates shall be as follows:
Grade Plate Thickness, max in. [mm]
50 2 [50]
60 11⁄2 [40]
70 1 [25]
80 3⁄4 [20]

hi metengr. my copy of astm 2017 section 1 volume 1.4 says one inch max thickness. I put a copy of the standard in a attached file. the mill cert also will show you the thickness from the mill in the file, it is in millimeters . my standard is different. could you send me a copy of the standard you have

GotSteel
I reviewed the file attachment. Your ASTM edition is the latest version, which I do not have at the moment. Apparently, the committee has been revising this material specification over the years.

With that said, I believe the mill was attempting to certify this material to the ASTM specification without knowing the end product size limit of 25mm. This material cannot be used under the ASTM material specification with the stated thickness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back