Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASTM B695-04 for coating of Zinc mechanically onto IRON/STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAK123

Structural
Oct 1, 2006
DE

For years I have used the ASTM A123 standard for Zinc coating my exposed structural steel materials (angle sections, etc..).

I just learned that an alternative method is ASTM B695-04 - Standard for coatings of Zinc Mechanically Deposited on Iron and Steel. Apparently, this ASTM standard uses a mechanical means to place zinc onto the metal surface and this approach is reported to be better then the hot dip method (which can have the zinc flake off).

Does anyone have any experience in calling out the ASTM B695-04 standard ? Any bad / good experiences with this approach for corrosion protection ?

Also - My application are exposed structural steel members that are placed in GUAM (heavy salt marine environment), which method would you use for corrosion protection OR if you know of a better way for corrosion protection, please share it.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hot dip galvanising is generally more durable and sturdy than mechanically applied zinc layers. You get the benefit of metallurgical bond and the iron-zinc intermetallics formed by dipping into molten zinc at high temperature.

Neither will be great for long-term marine exposure, I would suggest a high-build organic coating system (probably with a zinc-based primer or thermal spray base layer).

I have searched the internet and see LOTS of "high-build organic coating systems" -

Can anyone recommend a specific "high-build organic coating system (probably with a zinc-based primer or thermal spray base layer)" ?

Is there an ASTM that provides a standard for the high-build organic coating ?

Thanks.

Thermal spray (probably aluminum) would be better than paint for marine exposure.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

TSA (Termally sprayed aluminum) is probably the best and effective corrosion protections methods but also a good coating can do the job. it depends on the type of item and cost.

here you can find a good guide to select the corrosion protectio methods for steel exposed to the atmosphere:

Surface protection guide for steelwork exposed to
atmospheric environments

The prevention of corrosion on structural steelwork

Use of Paints and Coatings

hope this can help u

s

Corrosion Prevention & Corrosion Control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back