Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASTM C 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skillo2015

Civil/Environmental
Jan 6, 2016
GB
Gents, Ladies, need clarification on section 11 of ASTM C31 for transporting specimens to lab for testing. My interpretation is the 4 hour limit on transporting fresh cyclinder samples is particular to the 8 hour setting period only for a fresh cyclinder. 7 and 28 day cylinder samples are not bound by the 4 hour transport period, providing the samples are still subject to the curing regimen.

Would appreciate your insight, my lab is 15 hour drive from site.

Thanks,

Skillo!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The 4 hour limitation is to minimize the amount of jarring and vibration damage you might get through transportation. Yes, it would have less impact on a 28 day specimen but the earlier specimens such as 7 day old specimens can still be affected more.

Usually when there is a long transport time to the laboratory, a portable compression testing machine is taken to the site (usually as a part of a site laboratory) and the specimens are tested there. This is better than transporting the specimens for such a long period of time. Further, considering your site is that remote, it is likely that the roads you must travel are not that great and you would have a greater likelihood of damaging the specimens in transit.

If you must do the full transportation time, you must note in your reports that you are deviating from the specification requirements.

I assume you have a batch plant on site? If so, setting up a lab at the batch plant would be relatively easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back