Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASTM C150 vs. C595 cement

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgailla

Geotechnical
Dec 23, 2004
US
I recently learned that the largest cement manufacturer in my state (Florida) is now producing only C595 cement. This has been coming for a while, but only in the past six months has it become an issue.
Has there been any discussion of this on this thread? I don't recall seeing it.

What, if any, changes are you making to your plans and specifications for this development?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There was a thread a while back, thread507-496785, which really fizzled. This seems to be one of the larger issues concerning structural engineers, yet it seems to be flying under the radar.

ASTM C150 and C595 are two specifications of the cement. Per PCA article:

"To ensure a level of consistency between cement-producing plants, certain chemical and physical limits are placed on cements. These chemical limits are defined by a variety of standards and specifications. For instance, portland cements and blended hydraulic cements for concrete in the U.S. conform to the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) C150 (Standard Specification for Portland Cement), C595 (Standard Specification for Blended Hydraulic Cement) or C1157 (Performance Specification for Hydraulic Cements)."

See the linked article for more details on the differences. I encourage doing more research on the properties and performances of hydraulic cement before using it.

I'm only worried that after 10, 20 or 30 years there might be some issues. We're putting structures up for the long term, but can't test long term.
Example: Back when I got Popular Science (the 60's), aluminum wiring was the bomb. Cheaper, lighter, better in every way. And what's a few house fires between friends?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back