Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

astm d6938 nuclear density testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigH

Geotechnical
Dec 1, 2002
TJ
I do not have access to ASTM D6938. Years ago, I remember that if one is using the troxler in a coarse soil (I am talking about 70% greater than #200 sieve, that one would take three readings with the nuclear guage but rotating the machine around the inserted rod by 120 deg - so that 3 readings are taken. This was to check if coarse material was causing some issues.

Can someone confirm or advise?

Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry I'm not familiar with the ASTM standard. But when I was trained on a Troxler the two main things they wanted me to do were rotate 120 degrees and take 3 readings, and also pay alot of attention to how level the surface was and level the surface with sand if necessary.

The only mention in D6938 for rotating the gauge over an area is in the Oversize correction section, 10.6.1 .
I tend to remember this rotation around the probe hole was in the Troxler directions, although so much of my testing concentrated on just getting a good surface for 1 test, which can be quite a chore in itself.
As I am an old Campbell Guy, I am not that familiar with the Troxler of days past.

Now, in my dotage, I have gotten rid of my nuc. license (good riddance), my almost as old partner & I have purchased the Model 4590 Density Gauge from Troxler. The rotating the gauge 120 degrees is in the directions however, the preparation of a test surface that big is daunting, especially if dealing with oversized.

Thanks mates . . . as emmgjld said, it was my understanding on oversize to rotate 3 times . . . agree that ASTM says only 180 degrees.

Appreciate your thoughts.

[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back