Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASTM E192 specification level to chose

Status
Not open for further replies.

pparent

Mechanical
Oct 18, 2004
US
We are purchasing small precise investment casting (0.5" x 1" or 2" in size) and need to specifiy acceptance criterias for x-rays. We've been specifying E446 for a while but now realizing this was too permissive. I understand I would probably need to specify E192 but which level? Any source or documentation I could use that would describe the type of defects to expect from a level 1 or level 5? I am not interested into buying and trying to interpret a list of reference x-ray charts...

We are producing safety critical systems in the rail industry and specifying parts for vendors across North America.

Thanks

PP

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I understand I would probably need to specify E192 but which level? Any source or documentation I could use that would describe the type of defects to expect from a level 1 or level 5? I am not interested into buying and trying to interpret a list of reference x-ray charts...

You do need to review reference radiographs to decide on a particular severity level and type of defect. This is up to the designer, it is not something that is cookbook.

Severity of defects that can be tolerated is normally specified by the designer. Reference standards are guides to define and cannot be done away with,especially whenever a dispute arises.

Ofcourse as you know very well, placing the requirement as NSD (No Significant Defects) or Level 1 ,the cost of the component goes up .It is then a choice between cost and service requirement that needs to be addressed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back