ASTM E309 and A106 Gr B pipe 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Lane

Industrial
Feb 21, 2019
US
Hi,

First want to say I am not a metallurgist or very experienced in this field, but I have a situation where a customer is requesting a specific part and I am having great difficulty finding it.

We have a pressure vessel fabricated for us per Section VIII Div 1, and one of the components consists of an ASME SA106 Grade B pipe, 8" Schedule 80. One of our customers is requesting that the pipe be certified beyond the normal certification of hydrostatic testing and has cited eddy current testing per ASTM E309, as well as being domestically manufactured steel. At first I thought it was a case of just ordering the pipe with that NDE specification, but it is not turning out to be that easy. Our vendor that fabricates the vessel for us is also having difficulty.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to obtain this pipe or locating 3rd party testers that can accommodate this requirement? I presented UT inspection in lieu of eddy current testing, but they are not interested. We are located slightly north of Philadelphia, PA.

Thanks for any advice,
Rob

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Manufacturers probably prefer hydrostatic testing because it is cheaper.
SA-106 is seamless, so this is not a question of examining a seam weld.
It's a pressure vessel, so I presume the length in question is not very much. UT examination would not be extremely onerous (and IMO, at least as good as eddy current). I actually have not encountered ET on large diameter pipe.
More testing does not improve material quality. Your client is being unreasonable.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

probably for cracks or lamination assurance,
I would ask for recommendations
here, Houston TX ClientServices@apexinspections.com
these companies are usually near refineries, power plants

General Blr. CA,USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back