Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASTM Equivalent material for Boiler Air Pre heater Tubes

Status
Not open for further replies.

m.wasif

Mechanical
Jan 1, 2017
PK
Hello,
I am procuring Boiler Air pre heater tubes whose Material written in drawing is as follows:
OLT 35
STAS 8183-80

In regard to this, what will be the equivalent ASTM material of above mentioned tmaterial.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wasif,
There is no direct way to find the ASTM equivalent. First find the UNS number for OLT 35. Looks like STAS is a Romanian standard. Once you know the UNS no. You can look up the ASTM equivalent in many reference charts. Matweb is one place. ASME BPVC Sec II Part D is another. ASME B31.3 Table A-1 is another.

Ganga D. Deka, P. Eng
Canada

Thanks. In Romanian Standard, STAS 8183-80, is there any difference between tube and pipe material and dimensions? . As in ASTM standard Schedule is used for pipe and there is standard chart for pipe dimension , further tube dimension is given in guage. In Romanian standard, is there any difference in tube and pipe dimensions and material.

M.Wasif,
I am not sure about your project but remember to look at two things when you plan to replace the Romanian tubes with ASTM tubes. One is obviously, the material equivalence, the other is the dimensional standard. While the ASTM material will follow the ASME B36.10, the Romanian tube might follow one of the dimensional standards like STN 42 6710, 42 5716 or 42 5715.
Romanian mills are very versatile. They make pipe & tubes for European, Russian and North American markets
I personally have no experience with Romanian material. This is what I found doing some research.

Ganga D. Deka, P. Eng
Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back