Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASTM F1960, Sub Reference D2122-98

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wickerfields

Industrial
Feb 14, 2024
US
Greetings and salutation! New to the forum but hoping I could bounce an issue off the ethos and see if I can come up with a solution. I've found that in all my years in the industry I've learned the most from forums of this nature, spent most my time on the Zeiss Metrology forum in the past.

The problem:

We currently manufacture injection molded parts that have an NSF defined requirement to use ASTM F1960 to determine test methodology of our components. Within that standard is a sub-reference D2122-98 that defines methodology in section 9. Outside Diameter and Out-of-Roundness Measurement of Roundable Pipe. Within that reference, it defines the appropriate apparatus for measurement shall be 9.1.1 Flat-Anvil Micrometer or Vernier Calipers, 9.1.2Tapered Sleeve Gage, 9.1.3 "Sleeve Window Gage", 9.1.4Circumferential Wrap Tape, or 9.1.5Out-of-Roundness Gage. My question is this, in the greater experience of the group, is there avenue to deviate from this standard? I've been in the industry for over 20 years and typically have been able to 'logic my way' through areas like that and allow for more advanced methodology as technology grows. More specifically with MIL specs since most people use Xeroxed copies of Xeroxed copies where you couldn't even read the document. I don't even think a lot of people know what a xerographic printer is nowadays... I digress.

I've come to a roadblock and need some standard references that would allow us to deviate from the predetermined hand tool approach to a more advanced, and appropriate, test methodology utilizing our CMM. Does there exist any ASTM material that allows some 'per the standard' logic/deviation from this? Or do I have to draft a request to update the standard and route a petition to the greater tri-state area to get this amended?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So all of your production testing will be by CMM?
The hangup to this is that you will be measuring things that were never intended by the original specs.
We made wire and had laser mics on out draw benches.
They would often flag wire as out of size.
Even when the location was marked you couldn't find it with a micrometer.
So we had internal process controls that used the laser mics, but for certification we used the traditionally proscribed equipment.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Contact the ASTM committee responsible for D2122-98 and ask the questions of them. And/or go to their next meeting in person and discuss with committee members.

In the end it probably comes down to what your customer will accept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back