Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASTM Specification on Grain Size Analysis for Gravel and Cobbles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert168

Geotechnical
Mar 3, 2003
CA
Dear Members,

Does anyone of you know whether there is a ASTM specification on the grain size analysis for gravel and cobbles with a max. size of up to 200 or 250mm regarding testing procedures.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Boulders >12"
Cobbles Pass 12" and retained in 3"
Gravel Pass 3" and retained in # 4 sieve (4.74mm)

Thank you very much for your reply. In perticular, I would like to know the size of the sample to be taken for gradation analysis.

I think this very much depends on the standard you are testing to, from BS 1377-2: 1990, it requires a sample portion of approk 1000kg!!. I refer to this as you have given the dimensions in mm and not inch's. There are new European standards for gradings out now which EN 933-? from memory, and these may well have different min. masses for testing.
As a simple rule of thumb which I have always found useful, as a rough guide the nominal size in mm = the mass in kg, i.e. 200mm = 200kg, with the nominal size being where more than 10% is retained. This works really well upto nominal sizes of about 100mm, there after you are looking for a sample size in excess of 500kg from the guidance given in the BS.
As a material with a nominal size greater than 63mm, then it should be classed as an aggregate, hence the new EN for the testing of the grading, but like I said I am not sure what the new EN calls for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back