Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASTM v DIN v EN etc. Materials Equivalents 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzbox 100

Mechanical
Feb 8, 2022
GB
Is there a definitive document / publication I can refer to to give me up to date and accurate materials equivalents between the various national standards? ASTM to DIN to BS EN etc.
I've found a number of manufacturer's tables and comments online but this being the 'internet' I'm not sure that i can entirely trust them!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think it's in either ASTM or EN standards to say that their material xxx is EXACTLY equivalent to someone elses material YYY.

Changes can easily be made which make it not EXACTLY the same material.

So you need to compare the physical properties (yield, elongation to failure, UTS, Charpy etc and the chemical composition between whatever is suggested by a vendor and make your own decision.

IMHO, but if there is anything official I would love to know as well!

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Thanks 'LittleInch'. Good points regarding comparison of physical properties!

There are these kind of things I've seen on the web which on the face of it, look useful:

Clearly, someone, has put a lot of time and effort into collating this kind of thing but I can't vouch for either the company or the absolute accuracy of the information.

Hence, of course, the reason for my 'OP'.

"Definitive"? No.

It really does vary quite a bit what is considered equivalent for your application. Maybe you care about ultimate strength, maybe you don't. Maybe you need to pay sharp attention to thermal expansion, maybe you don't. Maybe you care about yield stress, maybe not. Maybe the testing (or lack thereof) inherent in the material specification matters to you, maybe it doesn't.

David

You can check this one

comparative_steel_standards_slgxlo.jpg

Thanks David.

I suppose my very specific question is - what is the EN (or BS EN) equivalent to A105 for flanges.

I am having to specify BS EN 1092-1 flanges for a steam application (at 10 barg / 200 degC) and it's proving difficult (to me anyway!) to home in on the equivalent.

It would appear to be Material 1.0460 / C22.8 / P250GH. But I'm not sure as I all I have found are various (and sometimes contradictory) references on the 'net.

Between DS67 and my Stahlschlüssel I can figure out about 90% of these issues.
For the rest I have to get current specs and lay them side by side and work through them in detail.
There are many cases where a material can be certified to a number of different specs, if it is stated up front in the PO.
Many times minor differences in tol, chem, or NDT makes the finished products incompatible.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Based purely on them being the lowest p/t ratings, it looks to me like you need P245GH / 1.0352 material and a P16 flange to get >10 bar at 200C.

Or a P280GH 1.0426 to get a PN10 flange at 200C with a max rating o 10 bar.

The other material you quote looks like a bar product, not a forging.

All from Appendix G of EN 1092

Thanks LittleInch.

In addition to your suggestion, there is also P250GH (material no. 1.0460) which is a Group 3E0 material i.e. "unalloyed steels with guaranteed elevated temperature properties". A105, which is one of the 'Additional Materials' given in Table D.1 is also shown as Group 3E0.

I've also seen other sources which indicate that A105 is also "equivalent" to P245GH and P265GH (another two '3E0' types).

So in this instance, I'm concluding that there isn't a direct equivalent to A105 in BS EN 1092-1 but there are materials that may be considered "similar". But I'm tending to agree with you that P280GH, with a yield range (depending on thickness) of 255 to 280 is "probably" closest.

Hi GD2.

Not sure if I understand what you mean as I'm not familiar with how 'UNS' works.

Maybe you could clarify or point towards how 'UNS' may help?

Thanks.

The UNS system doesn't seem to cover the EN steels though?

I think LittleInch is right. May not include British equivalency.

UNS is North American and publishes SAE HS-1086. It binds all North-American manufacturers but not sure about BS, DIN, JIS etc.

RobyEngII's suggestion of ASTM Internationals DS67D should be the correct choice. It links all major standards like BS, EN, DIN, JIS, ISO, etc.

GDD
Canada

In the back of the UNS manual is a list of all specs that refer to each UNS.
Now because the EN has by and large refused to used UNS (even when numbers are preexisting) this does get a bit tough.
(Don't get me started, they agreed to do this in a harmonization meeting 30 year ago)
I know that DIN and ISO alloys are listed, as well as common trade names.
Hence why I also own a Key to Steel.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back