Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Astroid 6000 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I for one have been waiting for this, thanks for the notification. Wish there was a way to see one and try it out. Looks like they weren't able to get the camera mode working with Solidworks though.

Clem
SW/PDM 06 4.0
Dell 2.4P4 2G Ram
Spaceball 4000

How does it compare to a Spaceball or Spacepilot?

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2006 SP5.0 on WinXP SP2

I wish there was a photo on the site. The price is good, but I can't understand the 2d cursor control. You can't use it if your using the ball at the same time, and if you have the ball, why do you need a separate cursor control?

-b

"You can't use it if your using the ball at the same time"
Yes you can! That's the whole idea of it and the others mentioned. You don't have to use the mouse for everything.

"... if you have the ball, why do you need a separate cursor control?"
The ball controls the viewing aspects (rotation, pan, zoom) and the mouse controls the selection and editing functions.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520​
How to find answers ... faq559-1091​
SW2006-SP5 Basic ... No PDM​

I could be wrong, but I think what bvanhiel was referring to is the "joystick" that is used in 2D mode. This, if memory serves, is a physical feature that si separate from the ball.

The "joystick" is just for scrolling;

www.spatialfreedom.com said:
4. 2D Scroll Hat
Provides smooth scroll functionality in all supported applications by simply pushing the hat up and down and side to
side. It works like the scroll wheel on a mouse but in 2D

www.spatialfreedom.com said:
The astroid will revolutionize the way you work. It complements the keyboard and mouse, eliminating many inefficient and repetitive mouse clicks.

[cheers]

In SolidEdge Astroid has the ability to fly through the part like camera mode in SW. The inability to get this feature to work with their controller is what held up the release of SW drivers from what I understand. Personally I don't know how important that is in the first place. I do like the idea of the scroll hat though. The only thing that I question is the button placement. I like the way the buttons are situated on my SB4000, and subsequent Spaceballs. From a previous post 11991 hadn't used any Space**** controllers before getting the Astroid so he couldn't compare, so I think someone should get it and do a review.

Clem
SW/PDM 06 4.0
Dell 2.4P4 2G Ram
Spaceball 4000

I'd want the scroll hat on the ball itself. If I have to take my hand off the ball I won't use it. IMO the scroll hat on the base is worthless.

One feature I liked about my old 2000 series spaceball was the "nipple" button. I had it programmed to reset the spin center on the selected geometry. The only other button I used was one I had programmed for "recentering" the ball.

-b

Nice price - what they all should be at. Even if they are slightly nicer how does 3dconnexion justify there 500 dollar price tag? Oh, and there customer service sucks as well.

I guess the $500 price-tag is justified by the number of people/companies willing to pay it ... I'm not one of them.

[cheers]

I would have to believe this is mostly a company purchase. Just like those $400 dollar chairs that people order without batting an eyelash. We all have seen this at one time or another. People have no qualm with spending someone else’s money and 3dconnexion is laughing all the way to the bank.

I have a CadMan at work and one at home. My company purchased the one at work I bought the one for home. We got a special price on the CadMan but it was still more than the price of the Asteriod. Maybe if it gains in sales it will spark 3D Connexion to consider dropping their prices and being a little more realistic. I wish there was a way to try one out, the CadMan was purchased on a trial period which was nice.

I wouldn't part with my controller but if there was something even better and the price was right I might just give it a try.

Dennis

SolidWorks 2007 SP1.0
Windows XP Pro, Pentium4 3.00GHz
1.5 GB RAM, Matrox P650
Logitech Marble Mouse, CadMan

FYI The 3D Connexion Space Traveler as drop to $150 or $199
we bought 12 of them a few months ago and we will be adding another dozen in few more months.

CJ Goodrich
Product Design Engineer
Leatherman Tool Group
Portland, Oregon

We have an equal number of Labtec Spaceballs and Astroid 6000's and the first thing I noticed (not that it justifies the huge difference in cost) was the Labtec Spaceball seems to be constructed from "nicer" materials. The Asteroid 6000 Ball appears a little on the "cheap" side, but it works so no big deal.

M.B. Price CSWP
Automated Assembly & Test Systems

Tell me this Phadreus,

Does the ball mech feel good on the Astroid? The one thing that has me wanting a new spaceball is the jiggle in the mechanism in my 4000. I can wiggle the ball around a little without moving the model. I know the SB5000 has this beat.

SW/PDM 06 4.0

I called 3dConnexion tech support today (1 of my Spaceball buttons died). While we were chattng - I asked if he'd heard of the Astriod. He said they get a lot of calls looking for the drivers. Apparently Astroid tech support is directing customers to 3dConnexion for drivers... which they obviously don't have?

Now this is second-hand information at best. But i'd double-check before investing in a fancy paperweight.

BTW - He also told me that the Astroid developer was an early partner in 3dConnexion... or something like that.

Windows XP / Wireless Intellimouse Explorer
SolidWorks 2007 SP1.0 / SpaceBall 5000
Lava Lamp
www.Tate3d.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back