Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

At what MVA does transformer differential become commonly used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qman5

Electrical
Sep 10, 2012
CA
I'm working with a 10, 7.5 and 5 MVA transformer and am wondering if I need to specify CTs for transformer differential? The configuration is actually:

Recloser --> 10/7.5/5 MVA --> MV switchgear with 1 incomer and 3 outfeeds.

I'm not familiar with protection nor with the customer's requirements (unsolicited proposal) and am actually curious if I even need to consider CTs on the transformer.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

5-10MVA is usually in the 50/50 range. Some will just protect transformers of this size with fuses/over current, while others use differential. If cost alone is a driving factor you can skip the CTs and differential, but personally I would spec them just in case.

Blackburn said 10 MVA, but that was when it was more costly to implement differential protection. We've gone as low as 5. The CTs don't necessarily need to be located at the transformer. If you use CTs located in the switchgear and /or recloser, you can extend your zone of protection.

I questioned the use of differential protection for a 1 MVA 4160-480 transformer and was told that it was for clearing times for arc-flash incident exposure. It negated the need for 'maintenance switches' and other safety-related shenanigans, according to the EE who specced it.

Before that, I think 5 MVA was about the lowest cutoff point. Most of my former clients started at 5 MVA or higher, but that was back in the day when full protection meant a door-full of electromechanical relays.

old field guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back