Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

At what service pack will you implement SW2010?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwubs

Industrial
Oct 10, 2002
We are still on SolidWorks 2007 sp 5.0. We will likely skip SW2008 & SW2009. We used to jump right in with new releases at sp 0.0, but that is not worth the pain IMO. So, when are you planning to go to 2010? It has some pretty nice features that are looking tempting...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Minimum of SP1... I think the company I work for waits till SP3.

Skipping both 08 & 09 is going to leave a big gap for the new stuff you missed in those versions. Its amazing when people skip versions how much they have to relearn. I would recommend looking at each version... because if I remember the UI changed from 07 to 08.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

SBaugh - I agree that there has been a lot of UI change since 2007. I have evaluated 08 & 09 at home, and gotten used to the changes. It will be a "learn to like the new interface" challenge for the guys here for sure.

Already adopted at SP0 ... no problems so far. As with any version, different people in different industries using different (or same spec'd) computers will see different results.

Given the fact that 1.0 is on the verge of release we are waiting for that, rather than moving on 0.0. We moved early on 2009 and got bit in the @$$ with all the PDM issues that were in the early release. Hoping not to have a repeat.

Joe Hasik,
CSWP/SMTL/MTLS
SW 09 x64, SP 4.1
Dell T3400
Intel Core2 Quad
Q6700 2.66 GHz
3.93 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600

Just saw the "what's new" gig today with my VAR, and it appeared they were running either SP0 or SP1EV. Crashed once after about an hour of doing all sorts of things. Ran on a laptop with Windows 7 (64-bit, methinks). Not too bad.

I'm planning on a rebuild of this system (new chip, new drive, Windows 7 64-bit, etc.) early next year, at which time I'll install v2009 SP5 and v2010 SPx.

Jeff Mowry
A people governed by fear cannot value freedom.

I would roll out SW2010 today. But we are waiting until after the first of the year when we get our new Windows 7 x64 workstations. I don't want to do the SolidWorks install twice within a couple months.

Cheers,

Anna Wood
Anna Built Workstation, Core i7 EE965, FirePro V8700, 12 gigs of RAM, OCZ Vertex 120 Gig SSD
SW2010 SP0, Windows 7

We finally jumped from 2007 sp5 to 2009 sp4 about a month ago. I found it to be a real easy transition and we have had very few snags. Everyone picked up on the new UI enhancements pretty quick and most think they are improvements and lead to time savings while modeling parts.

The negative that I have realized is that for the few glitches that we have come across, it is too late to submit them as SPR's since the last SP has already been released for 2009. That's why hopefully in the future we will upgrade a little earlier in the calender year (sp3 or so).

I have installed 2010 on my machine to test, but I have to wait for an admin to install the license manager on the network. Hopefully that can happen soon. There are quite a few enhancements I am anxious to try out.

Solidworks 2009 SP4.1
4GB Ram
Quadro FX3700
2.66GHz Core 2 Quad XP Pro SP2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back