ATEX 2014/34/EU and static equipment certification 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvros

Mechanical
Nov 16, 2023
IT
Dear All,
sometimes has happened in my experience that client requires ATEX nameplate and declaration of conformity for pressure vessel.

What i was use to do was to check that vessel operating temperature was lower than the temperature limit of the ATEX zone classification and then prepare a self declaration/report that equipment was suitable for the prescribed classified area or "prescribe" to the client that surface temperature shall be lower than the classified area limit.

Recently, one client initially requires the ATEX certificate, than stated that after some normative clarification, pressure/static equipment are excluded from ATEX scope.
I was not able to find such reference and he neither was able to provide me such reference.

ATEx application on a static equipment is "strange" because steel temperature cannot be changed and is linked to process more than equipment itself, but on the other hands high temperature may be a source of ignition.

Anyone have more information on the application of atex requirements to static equipment?
Can someone share his insight or experience?

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Static equipment in itself has no source of ignition. It may have a high surface temperature, but that’s it. So, unless an external device like an agitator is attached to a vessel, a vessel itself can’t be put under the ATEX scope and therefore is prohibited to be Ex-marked as such.
I’ve taught this subject to our employees a few times, and I think I have a reference somewhere to an ATEX guideline. Let me look for it tomorrow and I’ll see if I can post a reference.

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back