ATEX Eex"ia" & Eex"d" Mixed

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrunoBB

Electrical
Feb 13, 2023
FR
Hi,

My Client want to mix Eex "ia" and Eex "d" in the same Junction Box, therefore in the same cable...
I'm desperatly triyng to find where in the code it's clearly written that it's forbiden, so I can end this discussion.

But I can't... Can you please tell me where can I find in EN or FR regulations that it is forbiden to mix "ia" with other types of protection modes ?

Thank-you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is nothing that prevents someone from specifying multiple protection levels for the same piece of equipment. The trick is to understand EXACTLY what those protections mean, and then conform to the most stringent possibility.

Paraphrasing: Ex ia means the exposed machine surfaces (internal and external) will never get hot enough to initiate a flame (and hence, no explosion), nor will it create an inadvertent spark to permit ignition. Ex d means that once an ignition occurs, the flame path is sufficient to keep the (internal) flame from reaching the surrounding (outside) medium. Which is the more restrictive? Depends on materials and geometry, to some extent.

My "gut feel" is that if you meet Ex ia, you don't need to meet Ex d because there won't be an ignition to create a flame for the path to squelch.

Converting energy to motion for more than half a century

The following may be of interest, though I may not have completely followed:

AS/NZS "IEC" 60079 Cl 16.2.2.5.2:

Conductors of intrinsically safe circuits, except as permitted in 16.2.2.7, shall not be in the
same bundle or duct as conductors of circuits which are not intrinsically safe unless separated
by an intermediate layer of insulating material or by an earthed metal partition. No separation
is required if metal sheaths or screens are used for the intrinsically safe circuits or the circuits
which are not intrinsically safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back