Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ati FirePro V5800 vs V4800

Status
Not open for further replies.

steinmini

Civil/Environmental
Apr 27, 2010
RS
I have the Ati Fire Pro V4800 on my home PC and an Nvidia FX580 in the office. Both perform ok, but often I find that a better GPU wouldn't hurt. Since I mostly do drawing and simpler things in the office, I'd leave the office GPU as it is, but am thinking of investing into the Ati FirePro V5800 for my home PC as I often do quite complex and demanding stuff. My personal budget, as always, is quite limited, so, I'd just ask is the V5800 worth the extra buck$?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I found and read a few of these hardware comparison tests and the test results vary. However, none of them are done with SW and that is the only 3D app I'm using and the only reason to use a workstation class GPU. The manufacturer site states the main difference is in the double number of stream processors at the same amount of RAM. What good does that to the performance I am expecting, I can't tell, that's why I thought to ask here, in the SW forum. I'll wait a bit for some more info before I waste my money.

I have the I-7 2600K @5GHz, 16G DDR3, 128G SSD system drive, and you hit the spot Anna, I usually end up with assemblies with multiple sub-assemblies adding up to about 500-700 parts and the parts are all complex individually. I usually suppress all the features I don't really need during the assembly process but once I need to check everything for clearances and do technical drawings, it becomes cumbersome. When I started working with SW a budget low end laptop was enough because I never got further in design from a basic 2D sketch extruded and converted to a single sheet metal part. I have no problems with rendering for presentation (SW2012 SP5.0) which relies on CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back