Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Atmos Gas pipeline Kills 2 in Tx -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every one of 20 or so news posts I read said the exact same thing. Nothing.
I'm still looking for more details.
Has it become so common that nobody is interested in pipeline explosions any more, or is the news cycle just too deep in other matters for this to float upwards?

I think this is the location:
"Remote" is relative, it's not like this is in Alaska or something, it's northeast of Dallas, house right next door.
That first article gives a fair bit of information (perhaps it was updated?), about what you'd expect from public sources, just zero technical information.
It seems these incidents usually involve a ruptured pipeline, and that does not seem to have been the problem here, but no clue what it was.

Very difficult to work anything out here.

This looks like some sort of metering junction with a couple of pig traps, but nothing on the aerial views shows anything damaged or broken.

The fact there was no apparent fire says this was somehow a confined space explosion, but there's no confined space here?

Guess we'll have to wait for OSHA or NTSB as I though they reported on gas line incidents?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Yes a typical pipeline junction. Pig launchers and receivers. Junction tie in valve. Pressure control and meter.

Don't see any evidence of digging. I can imagine that they were doing pigging work, opened a pig receiving barrel and did not allow enough time for residual gas to escape. Maybe a truck too close because of not wanting to walk too far in the rain, ignited the gas around the open barrel. One big boom, no continuous fire. 2 dead, 2 injured and some more laundry to hang out after the rain stops at the house next door.

Have to wait and see if anything more develops or until DOT/PHMSA tell us something.

If it wasn't raining in Dallas that day, just sliding across the seat covering will generate enough static to blow your socks off. We used to punish the cat by dragging him across the bedspread on a dry day.[laser] Grounding all your tools is the smart thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back