Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Atmospheric Tank Venting

Status
Not open for further replies.

kryanl

Mechanical
Jul 30, 2001
US
I am trying to figure out how to size an open-air vent for a 33,000 gal, vertical atmoshperic tank. There is a known liquid flow in and out of the tank (not always equal), as well as a known air flow into the tank. I keep thinking that one way to do this is to know (which I don't) what velocity the air should be as it leaves through the vent, then figure the balnce, therefore the proper size, volumetrically. But, I can not find a value given anywhere. The API standards to not give such information. I appreciate any and all help.

PS. The liquid involved with the tank is not flammable, so there is no need for emergency venting.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

I think the first consideration is the nature of the product contained by the tank. If it is flammable you want to look at NFPA Standard 30. If flammable product is involved, you want to have both a conservation vent and an emergency vent. The manufacturers of these venting systems (e.g., Protecoseal) will provide free software to allow you to properly size the vents.

Regards, John.

API 2000 standard should give you guidelines. Even though your liquid is not flammable, if there is a possibility of the tank being exposed to fire due to other sources, then you will still need emergency venting.

Aim for a maximum air velocity of 1 m per second, under the absolutely worst case possible. Do not forget to add a factor for liquid evaporation if the flash point can be below ambient temperature. If the tank is outside, remember that the tank temperature can rise well above ambient in sunlight. It is usually a good idea to add an emergency relief vent in case of unforseen events.

If the liquid is valuable, you may need to consider a vapour recovery system to minimise losses to atmosphere.

If the liquid is high purity you will need a vent filter to ensure cleanliness.

Another factor to watch is the vessel wall strength. If it is unusually weak, you may halve the air flow velocity, to reduce potential pressure rise.

Protectorseal offer some very good advice in their catalogues, and also offer proprietry softwear for the calculations.

One guess for the max. flowrate: Use the max. inlet/outlet rate assuming that there is no liquid exiting the vessel. Use the max value with regards to inlet/outlet flowrate

The air volume flow is then equal to this value.

Aim for a low linear velocity of air in the vent as mentioned above (perhaps even less that 1 m/s maybe .1 m/s). I dont think emergency venting will be reguried even for a fire case if you have a 4-6" vent line due to the large size on the "hole" (a T type API relief valve have a orifice diameter of 26 sqin (as far as i remember) and a 6" vent line would have a cross sectional area of 28 sqin.

If you really want to do it fancy then use normal dP equations to calculate pressure drop in the vent line and compare with the vessel design pressure.

Best Regards

Morten Andersen

In addition to inflow/outflow, you must consider thermal breathing. This is covered in API 2000. Thermal breathing can result in significant flows if an uninsulated tank in a hot climate in direct sunlight has a sudden rain shower cool it rapidly.

I have a 15000 gal. waste water storage tank w/ 300 ft^3/min. inflows. If I size the vent for 300 CFM which equals 5 ft^3/s at 3.28 ft/s (1 m/s) the resulting area required for the vent is 1.52 ft. Based on the sampling of atmospheric tank vents that I have seen this is very large.

The sizing will in thi case of course depend on your pump capacity. The 1.52ft2 correpons to a 18" pipe and this is large but i thought that everything was big in sewage tratment? If you have a pressure vessel (or a vessel that can withsatnd some pressure) then you could go for a more detailed calculation and calculate a pressure drop etc.

This is just an easy method based on velocity

Best Regrads

Morten

You can always go back and for the actual vent, calculate the pressure in the tank you need to get the required vent volume out through the vent. This is the only precise way to do this IMO. If you have a short vent line or a tank that can take a couple of psi pressure, you can get away with a smaller line. However, if you have a long vent line or a very low pressure rated tank, you'll need to provide a larger vent. 1 m/sec is a pretty low velocity for a gas system. It isn't going to create much back pressure but for the lack of another number, I can't really fault it (it's why I don't like to size vents based on 'just' velocity).

If you can find a copy of Crane's technical paper 410C, Flow of fluids through piping, fittings and valves, it will walk you through the calcs (or find a nearby process engineer, they can run it).

If you can give me an idea of what the vent line is composed of (ie, 6 feet of pipe and 2, 90 degree elbows) and the design pressure of the tank, I can run them for you.

I agree with TD2K - its the only _precise_ methode but the rule of thumb can also be used when dealing with short vents.

Best Regards

Morten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back