Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attach GD&T symbol...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In NX2
To use the leader option, move the cursor to the curve or point that you want the arrow to attach (it should highlight), press and hold mb1 while moving the cursor to the text placement location, release mb1 and press it again to place the text.

If you want something other than the arrowhead, you select it in the leader tool icon before placing your text.

It doesn't seem as intuitive as it used to be, but is effective with a little practice.

I can get the leaders but what I need to have is that box attached to an edge. If you remember in v18 we had drop down in the leader dialog box that gave you the option of selecting a datum feature symbol (suction cup thing) and then highlight and edge then place you annotation box on that edge and it remained associative.

I cannot find that operation in NX2....

GladwinJay,

See if these steps work for you:

1. Select the Annotation Editor icon (letter "A" with a pencil over it).

2. The annotation editor toolbar & input dialog box should appear in the upper left hand corner of the work area. The Annotation Placement toolbar should also appear somewhere on the screen. Type your GD&T in the annotation editor input dialog box.

3. Select the Leader Style icon (far left icon on the Annotation Placement toolbar) and pull it down until you see the Datum Leader icon & select it.

4. On the same toolbar (Annotation Placement) select the third icon from the left (titled Leader Tool). This will cause the Create Leader dialog box to pop up.

5. Using the Create Leader dialog, click on the Leader Type dropdown & select the appropriate leader type that you want. From your description, it sounds like you want to use the ASME 1994/ISO 1983 Datum Feature selection.

6. Select the geometry of which you want to attach the base of the leader (the filled triangle). Drag the cursor & click again to place the GD&T annotation.

Hope this isn't too confusing.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Tim,

Thanks for making my explanation a little more easy to understand. Some of this stuff is hard to describe without pictures!

Eric

Eric,

Not a problem. It's been a common question, as the way leaders & GD&T were created was a major change from NX1 to NX2. It took me a few times to finally figure it all out when I first started using NX2.

You had it right, he just needed to see that the 3rd toolbar was popping up somewhere (Annotation Placement). It's quite easy to focus on that upper left hand corner of the work area & completely miss the floating Annotation Placement toolbar.

I personally think it's a crappy way to design an interface (having 2 different toolbars, one is fixed & one is floating plus another floating input dialog; finally a leader type dialog to round things out). I'd much rather see a single dialog with all the options right there in front of me. I can't for the life of me see how this new interface is more efficient. Scares me to think what will be coming in NX3 & 4.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back