Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attaching foam to plasticized PVC

Status
Not open for further replies.

tffy

Aerospace
Jun 5, 2006
US
Hey guys - have a question for you... a product that I am developing has an extruded length (32" long) of plasticized PVC covered by foam (not sure exactly what formulation is being used now by subcontractor) – but whatever is required/suggested can be obtained.

The profile of geometry in question is attached with PVC shown in black and foam in gray.

The question is – what’d be the easiest and best way to "weld" these two parts together? Currently 3M 467MP adhesive transfer tape is being used – because the bond has to take at least 250F temperature, and a margin of safety on top of that is nice – but an issue still exists – the attachment is a bit too soft, flexible, and the tips of the foam (which is cut out of a flat sheet) 'fly up' and out of 'containment slots' with significant deformation. Any suggestions for what chemicals that might create a no-fail bond (the word weld again comes to mind) between the two surfaces here?

Thanks a lot, everyone.

-Gene Gisin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Oh, and

i-r9DnmLQ-X3.jpg

is the picture referenced in the message above. :)

Thanks for the reply, sir. I will investigate that option, but I believe that foamed PVC is unlikely to provide enough resistance in normal usage - being either too hard or too brittle.

Thank you, however!

Err...no. PVC can have widely varying modulus depending on how much plasticizer (I think) is in the mix. Soft PVC (vinyl rubber) foam is available from McMaster.com for instance.

You are right. Thanks again! I'm pursuing this lead, with some good results from initial tests. Weld-on P-68 Primer (just primer, not even glue!) seems to glue PVC foam to reasonably heavily plasticized PVC quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back