Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attaching Loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecope

Mechanical
Dec 8, 2005
US
Hello, I need this cleared up in a hurry. At one time I was told when applying a load in Algor I would select all of the surfaces that the load was being applied to, then if the load was 500 lbs. for example I would just type in 500 with the correct xyz movement. So the 500 lbs. would be divided by the software for each surface resulting with a total load of 500 lbs.

Then I was told I had to divide the load by how many surfaces that the load was being applied to. Example...if I had 5 surfaces then I would put as my load in Algor as 100 lbs. not 500 lbs. since I have 5 surfaces at 100 lbs.

Thanks for your help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not at my office to verify this, but I think the software will divide the 500 pounds over the area regardless of how many surfaces are selected. My understanding of the application of a surface load is that it will calculate the pounds/in^2 based on the surface area selected.

The question may be in how the physical load is being applied in the real world. For instance, if you have 5 different surfaces each being pressed upon with a 100 pound load and the surfaces are different sizes, then you need to apply the 5-100 pounds loads. If, however, you have 5 surfaces reacting a 500 pound load, then you should be able to select all 5.

It comes down to the total load you need applied to a particular surface. If you need larger surfaces to take more of the load, a surface pressure will do this when all 5 surfaces are selected. 5 surfaces totaling 100 in^2 would result in 5psi, but that means that a surface having 20 in^2 would carry twice the load (100 pounds) of a surface with only 10 in^2 (50 pounds). On the other hand, applying 100 pounds to each of these two surfaces would result in the smaller surface carrying a higher psi loading, but an equivalent force (the 20 in^2 surface would carry 100 pounds as 5psi while the 10 in^2 surface would carry the load as 10psi).

A small, simple model should verify this.

Garland E. Borowski, PE
Borowski Engineering & Analytical Services, Inc.
Lower Alabama SolidWorks Users Group
Magnitude The Finite Element Analysis Magazine for the Engineering Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back