Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

attenuation-distance-frequency 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martintin

Electrical
Mar 3, 2005
DE
Hi,

My name is Martin Aureliu and i'm quite new in the radio communications field.

I know that the propagation losses vary with distance having the frequency as a parameter but I don’t manage to find an appropriate chart for this.

Could you please tell me where may i find a chart for distance - attenuation - frequency relationship for VHF and UHF?

Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Martin,

As I recall, the formula is 34.4dB + 20 log10 D + 20 log10 F. = Loss

D is in Kilometers and F is in Megahertz

This will give you a propagation loss figure in dB. To this you should add your transmit power in Dbm, your antenna gains and any co-ax or waveguide losses.

Together these will give you a figure for the received power at your receiver in dBm. If this exceeds yor receiver's minimum sensitivity, you will probably, repeat probably, have a good link.

This also assumes a clear line of sight and no reflective fades or other Freznel zone nasties.

Directional antennas improve performance markedly, with the gain of a dish antenna actually increasing as your frequency increases, offsetting somewhat the 20 log10 F term in the propagation loss equation.

Hope this helps

John

Question about microwave line of sight antennas. Probably easy to some.

Why do you think the shape of microwave antennas made like a drum? I know that a certain material need to enclose the feed for protection due to harsh environment but why like a shape of a drum?

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back