Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attributes to Excel and back to drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

freezer

Electrical
Dec 27, 2002
US
Hi all:
Does this look like a big Problem and can anyone help???

I am trying to access multiple blocks for the information that is contained in the attributes, pull them out of the drawing or set of drawings and store to an Excel file. As a VERY NEWBIE in VBA I haven't had much luck in working with the two programs and accessing only the information wanted, say the part number (both in house and mfg.) along with the ability to increase the information being extracted as required as more is available in the blocks should that info be needed. I don't need the block name except as a counter but all values are needed at one point or another. YES I KNOW ABOUT THE SAMPLE IN ACAD. It doesn't help as it pulls everything and in no specific order. I also need to return it to cad so that it looks like a spreadsheet but not as a link as this slows the ploting up. This sounds like a BOM and it is but it is to be used for a much wider range of information in the package including the ability to autodraw a standard set of prints based on Excel input and blocks in the drawing or out. About all I have so far is the ability to access my boarder and fill it out based on Excel values using input as if it was at the keyboard. This also crashes at times because it is not calling out the block but selecting a point for attedit and then working from there. The macro is to fast.
I know this is long winded but it seems like a good explanation of what I intend to do with this is needed.

Can anyone help in any of this

Contact through this link
or at mike.norbury@fmcti.com on weekdays
or at caboent@earthlink.com on weekends

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
What you are wanting to do is possible, but I am not sure what you are looking for. Do you need a critique of what you have programmed so far, help to finish, links to examples, programming for hire, etc... ? Please advise.

Thanks

Put the insertion points; xaxis and yaxis in your text file. You can sort using this data by excel if your bom is tabled not scattered.

With regards to crashing since excel is faster than Autocad insert MSGBOX ( ,VBOK) to stop Excel macro processing. You can click OK when Autocad has finished the extraction or editing the drawing file. You can see it if application is visible or just an icon at the bottom right of your screen.

Use the coordinates in your script or VBA code to edit attributes of a specific block.

209larry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back