Attributes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sudhakarn

Automotive
Apr 1, 2013
IN
Hi folks,
I want to understand the application of Attributes in AutoCAD. How different it is from using a text or an MTEXT? Please clarify with examples.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Attributes are normally associated with a block.
If you have a block with a descriptive attribute you can use that with data extraction.
If you have a block with several attributes you can review or change them all in one screen.

best thing since sliced bread... for example, with title blocks there may be a dozen or more attributes. I generally copy a client titleblock and border into the project folder and fill in the attributes common for the project. I insert this into the paperspace drawings and modify the remaining attributes common to the sheet. When you re-load a block if there are project changes, then all blocks in paperspace are updated. As I said, best thing since sliced bread.

Dik

dik has it exactly correct

To go one step further, I make two lines in the title block take their text from the paper space tab. That way when you print the drawing to a pdf, the default name of the drawing which is the file name + tab name matches the title block name. This is done by inserting a diesel field instead of text for those two attributes. It's also easier to edit the tabs that the block attributes.

My tabs are "xx drawing title" and the diesel expressions are $(substr,$(getvar,ctab),1,2) for the drawing number and $(substr,$(getvar,ctab),4) for the title.

My attribute for drawing number is "job number-" and then the field.
To insert a field, edit the attribute, right click and pick insert field, then find and click on Diesel Expression then copy paste into the box

IFRs said:
To go one step further, I make two lines in the title block take their text from the paper space tab.

Last project had a filename as: 25-551-E- and the tabs were named: 12780 to 12790 so the *.pdf files created were named 25-551-E-12780 to 25-551-E-12790, the actual drawing names...

IFRs: How do you name the drawing number attribute so it has the same name as the filename + tabname?

Dik

double click the block to get into the attribute editor or type attedit
right click in the space for text
click insert field
in the field category choose document
pick filename
choose the option you want
then, back in the attribute editor type a space or "-"
then right click
pick insert field
in the field category pick other
from the list pick Diesel Expression
in the field expression box type $(substr,$(getvar,ctab),4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back