Auditorium Seating Design Example

Status
Not open for further replies.

keen_mentee

Civil/Environmental
Aug 11, 2020
US
Hi Community,

I am working on a project designing the structural support system for an auditorium. The project involves steel structures to support the seating for gravity and lateral loads. So far, I have determined to use a Dead Load (20psf + concrete weight),and Live Load (60 psf). I think I need to use the loads defined in ASCE 7-16 Sec 4.14 Seating for Assembly as well. This is an indoor structure so I am calculating the seismic force. I am assuming a lot of information for the preliminary design (such as the slope of the seating arrangement). Could anyone help me with some reference design guides and resources for loads and design of auditorium seating projects?

Thanks,

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know your codes, but 60 psf is a little light for an auditorium load... I would think a minimum of 100 psf would be more in line.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Thank you, Guys!

SlideRuleEra: The link is loaded with much information I could use.
dik: I will double-check with my team if we need to increase the load to 100 psf.

Thank you.

60psf is typically used for fixed seating, so it may be appropriate. Moveable seating or open space, including walkways, are usually 100psf.

Thinking of our local bad example of a recently updated hockey arena, where 100% of the bleachers can see less than 2/3 of the playing surface;
It is a nice feature if most of the seats can see most of the stage. (That would put out local disaster to shame.)

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back