Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Auto-balloning 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiengines

Mechanical
Nov 10, 2008
US
We recently upgraded from NX6 to NX7.5. Prior to the upgrade, instead of using the auto-ballon function from parts lists, I would place empty ballons and then hit update parts list; which filled in the numbers. Worked like a charm.

I'm now trying to do the same thing in NX7.5, and I am not having any luck. Is there a setting that we need to change?

Chris T.
Project Design Analyst
Kohler Co. Engine Division
Using NX7.5

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Found it.

UGII_UPDATE_ALL_ID_SYMBOLS_WITH_PLIST controls this behavior

Chris T.
Project Design Analyst
Using NX7.5

It is in the "ugii_env_ug.dat" file, which is located under C:\Program Files\UGS\NX 7.5\UGII (if that is your install directory)

Note: Siemens recommends that instead of changing this file, add that line to the following file: "ugii_env.dat"

ugii_env.dat would then have the following line in it:

UGII_UPDATE_ALL_ID_SYMBOLS_WITH_PLIST=0 (This setting means that multiple parts lists can be added to a drawing, and the behaivor I described in my original post does not work)

OR

UGII_UPDATE_ALL_ID_SYMBOLS_WITH_PLIST=1 (This setting means that only one parts list can be added to a drawing, but this also allows you to add empty ID ballons to your drawing, and have parts list fill in the empty balloons for you. This is what I want)

Chris T.
Project Design Analyst
Using NX7.5

The reason this is controlled by an 'environment variable' and not in Customer Defaults is because of the '0' option, which allows you to have multiple Parts Lists on the same Drawing. With many companies this is not allowed and so it was intentionally 'hidden' so as to not tempt someone into changing the setting inadvertently or by a regular user (generally the 'ugii_env.dat' files are only known to and accessed by the system administrator). Note that out-of-the-box, this variable is set to the '1' setting, or where the added ID Balloons will update automatically, and where the system is limited to having only ONE automatic Parts List object on a Drawing.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back