Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto Dimensoning in NX 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you create your models using sketches, the sketch dimensions can automatically be inherited onto the Drawing of your model.

Also, starting in NX 7.5, we have added an on-the-fly auto-dimension option available when creating a sketch.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

There was I believe something based on using the dimensions of the underlying sketches. Someone else may elucidate further, but I just have to query whether those things ever work? I find it an important part of the design process to dimension in line with design intent and in so doing to think through the manufacturing tolerances etc.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

i few years ago i did some machining with NX on some models done on inventor, the drawings used "auto dimensioning" and often the same feature was dimensioned multiple times from rediculous datums, and sizes that were required were missed off all together requiring further analysis and re-drawing, i feel that this was more due to bad modelling and slack drawing techniques, with a belief that it must be OK cos it's automatic??. Even so i feel that this feature was next to useless

I agree with moog. In both NX and SolidWorks I avoid the auto-dimensioning because it just isn't worth the headache - but maybe in a smaller part it will work fine.

I disagee on that. I was working Solidworks for 5 years and changed to NX6 cause of my job. The Auto Dimension feature of Solidworks might not be perfect (like almost every design feature in every design package) but it is still very helpfull.
In small designs i just auto dimesnion and just erase the dimensions i dont like. In a car design might not be helpfull but in small every day designs it rocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back