Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto Nesting Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Updraft

Mechanical
Jan 29, 2007
US
Fellow SWXians,

I'm posting here because I too use SWX and you guys are active and helpful. (IF I could find a more appropriate forum to post this there is no activity there.)

I am looking for recommendations, comments, warnings, etc. regarding auto-nesting software for sheet metal. We are evaluating Merry Mechanization, SigmaNest, Striker Systems, and FabriWIN. That list is long enough, but we are open to additional candidates.

I look forward to your help.

Thanks,

- - -Updraft

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CBL,

Been there, done that. That is how I came up with the list in the first place.

What I am interested in is comments from any group members that have used or evaluated these packages.

Thanks,

- - -Updraft

We currently use Sigma Nest with SW 2007, and found it to be very compatable.

Pros: It integrates very well. We will have a piece of furniture (sheet metal) modeled, and just tell Sigma Nest to import that model. It will run SW in the background, generate flat patterns off all the parts in that assembly, then go right into nesting with the parts and correct quantities. It is also of course smart enough to recognize the different material type and keep them seperate. We use it to nest parts on our laser, plasma, and turret. Also if you do any shearing, it has a function to allow you to nest shear parts saving tons of time for shear operators.

Cons: Not happy with the tabbing functionality, it will auto tab parts for you, but we have a problem with them coming out sometimes. Also when it is importing the models and generating the flats , ect. it is a severe resource hog and if you do not have a ton of horsepower on your workstation it will take a while (takes me over an hour with a locker that has around 60 sheet metal parts). I do not run it on my CAD machine. We have a seperate machine (older and much slower unfortunatly) to run it on, so it should go faster if you have a beefy machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back