Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Autocad 14 and MDT 2 (X)

Status
Not open for further replies.

israelkk

Aerospace
Dec 30, 2002
IL
Is Autocad 14 comes with MDT or when someone offers you Autocad 14 it does not include solid parametric features?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My understanding is that if you buy AutoCAD now it comes with basic solid modelling capability. This was also true for R14. This is not MDT however.

If however you bought MDT in the past then by default you received AutoCAD as part of the package.

I don't think you can buy MDT (with ACAD) anymore. You need to buy Inventor Series which is Inventor and MDT (with ACAD).

I hope I understood your question correctly.

isrealkk,

Be careful with looking at Software like ACad on Ebay. AutoDesk has in the EULA (End User Lisence Agreement) that the only way to legally transfer ownership of the software is through change of ownership of a company...not sure of the exacts. They changed this about 6-8 years ago. So legally AutoCAD should not be available on Ebay.

Also cb68 is correct right now you can only by the Inventor AIS or AIP which come with ACAD and MDTDX.

Again be careful with software sales on Ebay....in most cases it is illegal.

Alan M. Etzkorn [machinegun] [elk]
Product Engineer
Nixon Tool Co.

I believe that the EULA (End User Lisence Agreement) Autodesk and other software companies use may be illegal by it self.

I have a first hand experience with an original disks I bought second hand. One day I have recieved a letter from a lawyer representing the software organization. After I showed the lawyer the original disk and told him I bought it second hand and offered to return it to the company or discontiue using it, he told me that I can continue use it legally because I payed for it.

I know about a second case with Solidworks where a company received a legal copy as a payment for a job. When they tried to upgrade it, Autodesk representative refuesed because it was not transfered according to the EULA but they said that they can continue use it.

Just imagine a case that a company or a person gone broke or died and all his belongings sold in a garage sale. If someone buys the software and sometimes it passed few hand, is it logical that the software is lost? It is more logic to say that the rights were passed to the buyer when he payed for it.

Imagine that you buy a car or a book and you can not sell it without the permission of the company who made or printed it. As long as only one individual use it and has the original disks in his possesion I do not think the software company can legaly have a say about it.

If you look at the arguments that E-bay give after they remove auch auctions they say: The auction was discontinued because the software company claims that it MAY infringe their right. Notice the "MAY".

I believe that such a EULA is against humen rights to own a aproperty and do with it what he likes as long as he does not duplicate it and sells duplicates.

It will interesting to here what others say about it and bring from their experience.

isrealkk,

You may be correct there...it seems that is a rather grey area and the software companies basically say that you have the right to use the software by buying it. They say you don't own it, you just own the right to use it. There are many threads about this in many forums. And as you say it will be interesting to hear what others say about it.

Alan M. Etzkorn [machinegun] [elk]
Product Engineer
Nixon Tool Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back