Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AutoCAD 2004 borders/blocks -> Solidworks 2006 sheet format/borders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CWSProgrammer

Mechanical
Sep 30, 2004
US
Can anyone give me a walkthrough of how to convert an AutoCAD 2004 block (which functions as our corporate border for our drawings) to a format that can then be used in Solidworks 2006 SP0.0?

I have run several different variations of this question through Google and other search engines and found only one result that didn't require a paid registration. Except that one was not very detailed or well written enough to follow. It basically said that I was to save the border (with all elements on the same layer, fully exploded) to a regular drawing file, open it in Solid Works and go through the wizard to import it as a Sheet Format, then save it again and that would result in having the border I need.

However, when I go through all that, I consistently end up with a blank view when I attempt to open the saved border in a drawing as the sheet format.

So, either I'm doing something hideously wrong here or the above mentioned method is not how to do it.

In any case, is there anyone here that can help me out?

The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it. -- H.L. Mencken

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Best advice. Don't try to make the two perfectly the same. I've been very close in making things look the same or act the same, but the results are always painful. What I ended up doing was:

1. Making templates and formats that worked well with SW and appear similar to the Acad formats.

2. Create a mapping file that will immitate as close as possible the color, linetypes, and layers use by your Acad users.

3. Stay away from using blocks in SW formats, for the only reason that when exported to the dwg file type you won't be happy with how things edit. Most of the problem lies in the Justification of notes and the fonts used.

IMO - seeing a slight difference makes it easier for Acad users to realize that the file was a native Solidworks drawing.

Good luck,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back