Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AutoCAD 2004 Dual monitor to single monitor blues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirrror

Structural
Mar 26, 2005
US
Our office uses dual monitors with AutoCAD 2004 on most of our workstations. Most of the time our draftsmen stretch the AutoCAD screen across both monitors, which is great for the detail work, everyone who uses this setup becomes addicted to it in our office. The trouble is when you lose the functionality of one of the monitors... if you have been in the habit of having your pop up windows come up in one of the monitors, and then that monitor is no longer there, AutoCAD still persists in sending the pop ups there even though they aren't visible or accessible.
Is there a solution to this? I have tried telling windows that only one monitor is in use and all other programs behave correctly. AutoCAD, however, refuses to follow along with the plan. I have found that if you continually move the dialog boxes to the primary monitor when you have two monitors, they have a habit of coming back there each time you use that command, but I cannot take the hours that it would take to run each command and physically move each dialog box to the correct monitor before removing a monitor.
Is there an AutoCAD command or preference setting that defaults dialog boxes to the correct monitor or at least to a particular location?
Any help will be appreciated, as a couple of our workstations are not usable (short of uninstalling and reinstalling AutoCAD, which may be a last resort if I can't find out something soon...) because we fried a monitor.
Thanks in advance,
Mike in sunny FL.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is controlled by the video driver. Your driver needs to emulate a 2560 x 1024 (for example) and then new windows won't pop off screen. This is one way to do it. We have nVidia cards and they use nView drivers which lets you use two screens with a primary and secondary selection of monitors. New windows go to the primary or last used location. I have used Hydra drivers from ATI also but they are a little different also. nView lets you span monitors also. I hope this helps somewhat.

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." — Will Rogers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back