Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AutoCad 2005 is killing us! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernDrafter

Civil/Environmental
Nov 7, 2002
US
I could sure use some help in this department. Many times when AutoCad (or LDD 2005) is launched, the program stops midway thru and hangs up. Me and my office cronies have noticed that a number of AutoDesk links power up when ACAD is launched. Examples are things like AdskSeSrv.exe, WSCOmmCntr.....etc. We have had to go into the task manager and manually shut these operations down in order for ACAD to finish launching.

Also, many times ACAD just freezes in the middle of editing a drawing, and these same operations have to be shut down.

Is there any way at all, to disable these functions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you running on an approved OS? I don't know but I'd guess ACAD 2005 may require XP Pro and nothing else.

--------------------
Bring back the HP-15
--------------------

Yes, all our comps are XP OS's. Minimum 2.4 GHz, with min. 1 gig of ram.

We really just have some major issues with this software. Not just the "automatic" links that start up, but even the regen time on a multiple layout drawing is just downright ridiculous. I have tried every regen option I can find, to no avail.

We have voiced many of these concerns with our vendor, but not much help there. That's why I'm posting these problems on here, so you veteran guru's may be more help than I could get elsewhere.

We had the same problem. We had a Firewall blocking communications with the internet and wasn't allowing AutoCAD to load the design manual.

Took the blook off and that fixed that problem for awhile.
We have all the CAD related files stored on a network drive and we all using XP SP2.

Using the patch from the ACAD site didn't do anything for us. But it might for you. Also, the default start page the loads if its a modified page as is ours with everything set up in it ie layers, text, ect it loads slower than haveing the default set to a blank page.

Thats my two cents, hopefully some of it will help.

You aprked my interest with the Communication Center part. How would I go about turning that feature off?

BTW, thanks everyone for helping me along on this thing.

exploding polys and hatches will significantly slow down big drawings. make sure you never explode hatches especially.

Right Click on the Communication Center link in the lower left of the bottom tray. Then de-click the notices.

Steve Smith, C.I.D.
Product Engineer
Staco Energy Products Co.

I found what you're talking about, but after I uncheck things, it seems to go back to what it was before, if I reopen it.

I run 2005 on Windows 2K Pro SP4, with no problems. I went through all the settings and disabled anything to do with internet access though, as we just don't have enough CAD operators to use any of the remote functionality, and I'm based in a site portacabin, so I just disabled it all.

Well, I'm glad things are working out for yall. But, my whole office is bouncing off the walls with this new stuff. So much regening going on (even when you cut and paste!) and when you tab between drawings too. We have turned off all the regen modes we can find, and it's still as if ACAD isn't listening to us. Just keeps on regening, even when it is not necessary.

I guess with half a million variables left to go, maybe I'll get lucky before year's end.

Sorry folks, it's just been really frustrating. To me it seems as if ACAD just took 5 steps back into the 90's.....remember R13? Yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back