Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AutoCAD 2006 & Dual Monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engineeeeeeeeer

Mechanical
Jul 20, 2004
TH
I work out of a laptop (Sony PCG-K315B) and I run AutoCAD 2006. Recently I have had access to a BENQ wide/flat screen monitor (which is considerably larger than the notebook screen). I have set it up so that I have AutoCAD drawing screen on the big screen, and the properties, toolbars and text window always open on the notebook screen.

I have a bit of a problem as now the circles are not displayed as circles, but ellipses. I have gone into the display set up in windows (XP) and the max resolution 1280x1024, but I believe the screen is 1600x1200. Is this the cause of the problem?
I have tried to update the driver but windows tells me that the current driver is up to date.

Does anyone have any useful suggestions?

(PS there are similar posts on this but I think I've tried all suggestions).

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your problem is that your aspect ratio is not a regular 1024x768 or 1600x1200 aspect ratio, but something else. If you google the model of the monitor with the word "specifications" you will find something that tells you what the aspect ratio/resolution should be.

THanks for the reply, you're quite right. The aspect ratio is 1680x1050 which is 1.6, but the regular ones are 1.33.

Time to try to convince the boss to by another monitor !

Ive got the same problem and only way to fix it is to get a square monitor,(and kindly give your widescreen monitor to your 7 year old as a present!) unless someone has a solution and I would love to know what it is.

The video card in your laptop (ATI IGP 345M) is not known for great graphics, nor has ATI kept up with updating drivers for it. Check out the following site:

These guys created their own driver sets for noth nvidia and ATI graphics cards, and I have heard they work great at giving some performance back. In your case, maybe the latest driver set will include more/higher resolution options, one of which hopefully results in a "square" looking display.

Word of caution though... if you are running XP, create a restore point. That way you undo any bad things your tinkering may cause.

Good luck!

I run a similar setup, but with an NVidia Card.

In order to get the 1680x1050 on the external, I have to select an option to have seperate resolutions for each screen.

I don't know if your graphics driver can pull that off, but look for that as your options, I think the 3 options were clone, stretch, and custom..

Engineeeeeeeeer, I have the same problem with my new flat screen SyncMaster205bw. I gave upt trying to remedy the situation and just work with the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back