Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AutoCAD 2015 hatch issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHTPE

Structural
Jun 11, 2008
US

I just switched over (reluctantly) to AutoCAD 2015 after having a hard drive meltdown. Running Win 7 Pro x64.

When I attempted to set a hatch pattern, AutoCAD pops up a window stating: "acad.pat" Can't find file. After clicking OK in that popup, I get another that says No standard patterns available. Then, after clicking OK in the 2nd popup, I get a 3rd that says Error in reading the pattern file. AutoCAD then cycles back to the 1st popup, followed by: Unable to open file: acad.pat, Error = 1.

Now, having typed all of the above and before I posted this, I decided to search the C: drive for "Acad.PAT". Found it in 2 locations:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2015\UserDataCache\en-us\Support
and
C:\Users\<my user name>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2015\R20.0\enu\Support

Neither match the folders established when AutoCAD was installed (see Options | Files). Adding a search path pointing to the latter path above solved the issue.

So I'm now posting this as a tip rather than a question.

WTF Autodesk - can't your installation routines create the appropriate support file paths that match where it copied the files??

Ralph
Structures Consulting
Northeast USA

Similar problem here. But not exactly...

The problem I have is a typo in the IT department's deployment company-wide, which selected some invalid network drive folders.
Are you using a single-seat on a stand-alone computer?

STF

My installation is a single-seat. I was very disappointed to find that the installation routine's folder pointers in AutoCAD (as installed) did not match the folders where the routine copied the files. Rather sloppy IMHO.

Ralph
Structures Consulting
Northeast USA

Hmm...
I've never done a network deployment myself so I was just making an assumption...
maybe these problems are more closely related tham I thought at first.

STF

We have run into this on a few stations, and I'm not sure where it's coming from, but the problem ended up being the same thing you encountered, that a folder is missing in the supported paths.

It was a fresh install, but when started for the individual user we had to go to options, files, support file search path, and had to add the same folder that you listed above.

C:\Users\<username>......\support
Once we did that, all the errors went away (there were dictionary errors, as well as hatches)

Hasn't happened on all the machines, but it's been more than one, and they were all installed from the same deployment.

I'm finding that as the installations get more complex (with every new release), the installation routine gets less robust. I have seen quite a few little things that make me think that AutoDesk is cutting costs in all the wrong places.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei, Italian Physicist

Some of the things you want to exclude from hatch coverage, like text items, etc., can be selected when you select OBJECTS (like closed polylines) for HATCH boundaries. They'll act like "Islands" in the hatch command. Anything else, I'd use WIPEOUT for, pulling the still visible object to FRONT (over the WIPEOUT - in front of the hatch - for anything that wouldn't select as an "Island" type object when selecting objects for the HATCH command.

Good luck and post back with results ?

Tks-
C Fee

cfee - I know how to do the work-around. I wanted to know if other have experienced the exact same phenomena.

Ralph
Structures Consulting
Northeast USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back