Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Autocad 2015 issue with copying layouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

horse4949

Automotive
Apr 1, 2015
Hello, this is my first question: I am having issues with copying layout to another drawing. Autocad says to open the drawing that you want the layout to go into. Then go to design center and pick the file and layout you want to insert, double click on the layout and it will copy it to the drawing. well everything goes well until i open the layout that it copied and find its just a copy of the layout of the drawing that I have open....

What am I doing wrong?????

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have never tried double-click. I use drag and drop to copy layouts,layers, dimstyles, leaderstyles, etc Drag it from the design center to your drawing (not in the design center, but on your drawing). Note: if there are common block names, the block you drag in will be an instance of the block in the drawing.

If you are talking about copying a piece of one drawing to another.

Here is what works for me:
1) open the original drawing
2) type "copy" and select from the drop down list copy with base
3) select a base point and then select the lines and circles and text you want to copy
4) open the drawing where the copy will be sent
5) type "paste" and select paste as block
6) select the place you want the copy made

You may have to explode the block you just copied.

I think you are having trouble describing what your true goal is. Because, what I have read is that it is operating exactly as described to you. You are copying a layout... and it works!

Are you just looking for a new tab with nothing in it? Are you looking to copy a viewport without other objects?

I have great success with the Design Center in autocad 2013 using drag and drop, every day.
Maybe it changed to version 2015 ?

Are you trying to copy blocks from the source drawing whose name may already be defined in the destination drawings?

What I was trying to do is copy layouts from other drawings and put them into one drawing to be able to put them in teamcenter.....which is a vault system....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back